Laurentiu-Paul POP | Timisoara Lawyer | beyondlegal

immigration law.

Looking for a immigration lawyer in Timișoara?

Immigration law deals, among other things, with the legal ways you enter Romania and how you stay here for a longer period.

We also cater our services to companies (legal entities) to obtain and recruit non-EU staff (work permits).

If you are a foreign citizen we recommend our services concerning human rights, and if you are a company in Romania we recommend our services concerning comercial law and labor law

our services:

common questions.

How do I get a digital nomad visa?

To obtain a digital nomad visa you must meet the following requirements:


  1. You work for a foreign company or you own a foreign company from overseas, outside Romania
  2. You work remote using technology (ICT Information and Communications Technology)
  3. Income. You have earned at least three times the average gross monthly earnings in Romania for each of the last six months prior to the date of the visa application and for the entire period covered by the visa; (This requires an income of around 4,100 euros per month)

The process is somewhat cumbersome, see here more details. For legal assistance you can contact anytime, anywhere.

How do I get Romanian citizenship?

You can obtain Romanian citizenship, upon request, if you meet the following requirements:


  • You live lawfully in Romania for at least 8 years for non-EU citizensIf your wife or husband are romanian citizens, the term is shorter, only 5 years from the date of marriage
  • you have at leas 18 years of age
  • have not committed offences against the Romanian state or public order
  • You earn sufficient income to ensure your livelihood in Romania
  • You have an good behaviour and you were not convicted for crimes that make you unworthy of being Romanian
  • You speak well the romanian language and you have basic notions of Romanian culture and civilization
  • You know the Romanian Constitution and the national anthem

The duration of 8 years and 5 years for which you have to live in Romania can be halved to 4 years, respectively 2 and a half years in the following instances:


  • You are citizen from EU
  • You are an recognized personality internationally.
  • You have refugee status.
  • You have invested in Romania sums that are more than 1.000.000 euros.


You can also obtain citizenship even without living in Romania for a certain period of time if you have made a significant contribution to promote culture and the Romanian civilization.

What are the steps to obtain citizenship?
  1. Registration of the application. You make an appointment in advance at the NAC (National Authority for Citizenship) where you submit all the necessary documents. In principle, the application must be submitted in person but can be submitted by a legal representative if you are unable to travel.
  2. The interview. You will be given a deadline to take the citizenship interview, where your knowledge of Romanian language and culture will be checked.
  3. Resolution. Following the interview and verification of the case file, the Authority will issue an order admitting or rejecting the application for citizenship. The rejection order may be appealed within 15 days to the Bucharest County Court.
  4. The oath. The last stage requires you to swear an oath of allegiance to the Romanian state within a maximum of 6 months from the date of admission of your file. Refusal to take the oath will result in not being granted Romanian citizenship.

If your application for citizenship is rejected, it is advisable to consult an immigration lawyer.

What is a short-stay visa?

The short-stay visa allows foreigners to apply for entry into Romania, for reasons other than immigration, with the aim of an uninterrupted stay or several stays, the duration of which should not exceed 90 days during any period of 180 days preceding each day of stay on the territory of Romania. This type of visa may be issued with one or more entries.


The right of stay of the holder of a short-stay visa cannot be extended.

What is a long-stay visa?

The national long-stay visa allows foreigners to enter and stay in Romania for a period not exceeding 90 days.

Can I exchange my foreign driving licence for a Romanian one?

Yes, you need to have permanent residence in Romania (more than 185 days/year) and driving licence, to pay a 89 RON tax (aprox. 20 euros) and then the necessary documents are submitted at  Driving Licence and Vehicle Registration Service.


For more details.

What are the necessary documents to exchange my driving licence?

In principle, the following documents are required:


  • Foreign driving licence, original
  • Copy of ID
  • Proof of residence in Romania 
  • 89 lei (20 euros) tax
Which categories of driving licences cannot be exchanged?

Cannot be exchanged for similar Romanian documents, the following categories of documents:


  • international driving licences;
  • driving licences whose validity has expired, except those issued by the authorities of the Member States;
  • driving licences that have been cancelled or are subject to restrictions that do not correspond to harmonised European codes, suspensions or withdrawals in another country;
  • provisional, temporary or learner driver's licences;
  • driving licences of persons who have been convicted by a final court decision for any of the offences referred to in Articles 334, 335(3) and 335(4) of this Regulation. (2), Article 336, Article 337, Article 338 (2), Article 336, Article 337, Article 338 (2) and Article 338 (3) (1) and Article 339 (1) and (2) (2) to (4) of the Criminal Code or for an offence resulting in the death or bodily injury of a person, committed as a result of failure to comply with traffic regulations, except in cases where one of the situations referred to in Article 24(1) of the Criminal Code has occurred. (6) of O.U.G. no. 195/2002 on public road traffic, republished, as subsequently amended and supplemented.
What does the recruitment procedure for non-EU staff involve (steps + duration)?
  1. Obtaining the work permit (duration: 40-45 days)
  2. Obtaining the work visa (duration: 2-3 weeks)
  3. With the arrival of the workers in the country we will then obtain the residence permit 
What are the costs of hiring non-EU staff?

Roughly speaking, the costs would be as follows:


Recurrent costs:

  • 25-35 lei / working day meal vouchers+ accommodation costs

One time costs:

  • 100 euro work permit
  • 259 lei residence permit
  • 120 euro - consular fee


What documents are required for hiring non-EU staff?

In principle it requires the following documents: (some of them obtained by us, others received from the employer):


  1. The application
  2. Proof of the legal power of attorney of the person representing the employer before the I.G.I. Identity document of the legal representative
  3. The AJOFM certificate with the job vacancies for each post for which you want to obtain the PERMIT
  4. Job description and the employer's organisational chart (valid for 60 days) showing the positions occupied and vacant
  5. Newspaper advertisement (to be posted on the same day or on the day immediately after the certificate is picked up) ONRC certificate (basic certificate for the General Inspectorate for Immigration), not older than 30 days from the date of submission of the files to the IGI Tax certificate with no debts not older than 30 days from the date of submission of the files to the IGI
  6. Criminal record of the employer
  7. Job offer in Romanian and English.
  8. Affidavit by the non-national that he/she is medically fit for employment
  9. CV for the non-national worker
  10. Criminal record of the worker, translated and legalised
  11. Copy of the foreign national's valid border crossing document. 

Further questions?

We welcome you to contact us, by any means of communication, anytime, anywhere..